80. Feeding of fish should be such that the quality, quantity and frequency are optimal for their stage of development. The early feeding of fry and young fish should be monitored.
81. Food should be distributed evenly and widely so that it reaches the maximum number of fish. Better systems for the provision of adequate amounts of food to all fish should be developed.
82. Fish should not be totally deprived of food except during a period of up to 72 hours before slaughter for food hygiene reasons or where the overall effect of food deprivation is an improvement in fish welfare.
83. The period during which salmon may be deprived of food prior to certain management procedures must be kept to a minimum and should normally not exceed 72 hours.
84. There should be scientific research carried out on the interrelationships between food distribution, fish size and fish welfare.